3 questions/comments

To post a question or comment, click the "Post a Question or Comment" link below. To add an answer or response, click the "Respond to This" link under each comment.

Question   YOu suck at Photography.
You suck and your comments on photos are useless. I saw your comments online and you look like a fool and then I figured with all your comments you must be good & knowledgable at photography. I'm now looking at your web page and its a piece of shit. and also so is your photography. try comparing yourself to A GOOD PHOTOGRAPHER BEFORE YOU START COMMENTING LIKE YOU ARE ONE.

- you suck May 15, 2014

  Answer Yep. Suck like the intake manifold of fully souped '41 Ford Willys.
Oooh Wheee! Now that's some good stuff!

-  May 16, 2014

Respond to This
Question   Flower-petal Lens Hood
When is it good to use a Flower-petal type of Lens Hood? I have a 28-210 mm lens and often use it at wide-angle (28 mm) position and have sometimes had some "vignetting". Should I use a flower-petal type lens hood for this lens? I have been using a regular round lens hood for this lens.

Also, how does one use a flower-petal lens hood? Does this hood rotate, etc. and is there a correct way to use it? Please advise. Thanks.

Paul Carter

- Paul D. Carter May 30, 2012

  Answer The main use of a lens hood is to reduce flare when shooting towards a light source that's just outside the field of view. Just like the visor on a baseball hat. They also can help keep things from hitting or getting on the front element of a lens, the glass part.
The difference with a petal type hood is, because of the rectangle shape of the view finder, the angle of view on a horizontal shot is narrower up and down, than it is out to the sides. So that allows the petals that shade the top and bottom to stick out more without getting in the way.
If you're getting vignetting with the hood you have now, than regardless if you had a petal type or round type, it would still need to fit the angle of view of a 28mm. If the one you have wasn't made for that lens, or if you can't find one, an option could be to use a rubber hood. That way when you zoom out to 28mm, instead of taking it off, you could fold it back out of the way.
You use a petal type lens hood the same way you use a regular round one, and it does rotate. Except with some lenses, the front part of the lens rotates when you focus in or out. And if the longer part of a petal type hood rotates in the way of the sides of with the wider field of view, it will be a nuisance to rerotate the hood when shooting on the move or something that's moving.
So the correct way to use it is simply to keep the longer sides out of the way, and/or use it on lenses that have what's called internal focusing. That's when the front part of the lens stays put when focusing in and out.

- Gregory LaGrange  May 30, 2012

  Answer 58mm Filter Adapter for CANON PowerShot (Electronics)Very simple, but rlaely mandatory in order to be able to use 58mm filters. Bayonett fitting locks securely on camera in the same one that the original Canon hood did. So if you want to use a hood with this, you need to get a 58mm threaded hood. You can get a 3 position rubber hood for about $8 with shipping. Getting it on took me a couple minutes as the three flanges on the fitting have to be aligned just so before it will screw on. It is a little more difficult to put on than if the Canon lense was threaded. Once on, it feels very secure and I don't see a need in taking it off again. This will make your original Canon lens cap useless. Again you can get a 58mm one that will work. I got a lens cap included with a 58mm filter set ordered seperatly. So good to go. This is strictly the ring, no glass. I couldn't rlaely tell from the picture of it. You wouldn't want glass cause the more glass one puts between the lense and the object, it can start to degrade the quality of the shot. There is just so much more you can do with filters, so this adapter ring is a must have! Shipping was fast! I've always had good luck with Amazon.

- Evez Evez  July 07, 2012

  Answer Good to hear, but I think he was talking about a different type of lens and camera. 35mm slr type

- Gregory LaGrange  July 08, 2012

Respond to This
Question   wHsVdfyxCdmiO
Until I found this I thought I'd have to spend the day iinsde.

- Suevonne Suevonne December 10, 2011

  Answer I'm not really understanding what you mean.

- Gregory LaGrange  December 20, 2011

  Answer February 7, 2012 3:39 pm I needed to write you one tiny note just to give ntkhas again for these unique pointers you've shown on this website. It was so surprisingly open-handed of you to allow without restraint what exactly many people would have supplied for an e-book to help with making some profit on their own, primarily since you might have tried it in the event you decided. The points as well acted to provide a fantastic way to be aware that other people have the identical passion really like my very own to grasp a little more related to this condition. I think there are some more fun situations ahead for many who look into your website.

- Cok Cok  April 05, 2012

  Answer Okay, I get what you meant, if this is Suevonne. And thank you.
I guess you're talking about the question and answer section at Betterphoto. So feel free to ask me any questions directly that you may have.
Take care.

- Gregory LaGrange  April 06, 2012

Respond to This

Post a Question or Comment

  gregorylagrange.org: Questions or Comments